Person calculating taxes with calculator

I am a wage earner and have not filed my taxes in years; is this a crime?

Technically non-filing is a crime, but not one that is typically prosecuted. Simply, get the returns filed. Following, if taxes are owed, contact a professional to help you get a payment plan in place.

Generally, the IRS wants at minimum the last six years of tax returns filed. If your outstanding filings extend past six years, there is still a good chance that the last six years will be accepted as satisfactory filing compliance. IRS contact by a tax professional can often determine if there are additional filings required past the six years, and likely confirm IRS’ acceptance of the last six years filing requirement.